I asked my daughter to buy me a Polaris debris and leaf bag for our model 180. Well, I thought our model was 180 because the people who we purchased the house included some documents of items included with the purchase of the house. We were given quite few documents for the pool equipment. When the bag arrived, I noticed that it was incorrect. It was missing the quick connect plastic ring clips. It only had Velcro, no clips. The Polaris 280, 480 and 3900 use “tear drop” shaped clips to secure the bag to it’s cleaners.
The bag shipped to us did not have quick clips to attach the bag to the pool sweep. It was also missing a zipper at the end of the bag to allow quick removal of the debris and leafs. I then discovered that my daughter did purchase the correct bag for a 180 model. We must have had a newer model and the prior home owners failed to include that model in the documents given to us. This new bag is way cheaper, costing close to $13 while the proper bag for our pool sweep costs just over $45. I decided to find a way to make this cheaper bag work. It was easy. I removed the old ruined bag from the fitting by using screwdrivers to pry out the outside ring.
I discovered that a 2 inch PVC irrigation pipe joint fit rather perfectly into the top of the part that clips to the pool sweep. It was a bit slack but the irrigation glue should fix it in place. I wanted to maintain the largest opening for leaves to pass upward into the bag. I measured the diameter of the bag and it was close to the 2 inch pipe diameter. I then cut an irrigation pipe that slips into the 2 inch joint for a distance of 4 inches because the bag has a rather long stiff collar with a long side slit. I wanted all the debris and leaves to go up into the bag and not slip out of that side collar opening, which is the reason for the rather long, 4 inch pipe length.
I decided upon 4 inches because the bag has a rather long throat and I wanted the pipe to go up into the bag. I was worried that the bag just might slip out of the plastic pipe upward. I needed a solution to that problem. I found an old 2 inch PVC joint and cut just a little off of it. I then glued that small ring to the top of the 4 inch pipe to the bag would not slip off.
This pools sweep modification PVC parts cost less than $5 for new parts. The correct bag would have cost about $45. The new bag, my daughter purchased cost only about $13. In just under 2 hours I had created a modification to the pool sweep that saved me just over $30.