Our family purchased a new car 2016. One of the many options was to activate Sirius XM Radio service from satellites into our car radio. I paid $136.54 for one year. I share the car with my daughter. She never would listen to Sirius. I would, occasionally, when she was not in the car but the advertisements were really annoying. I enjoyed listening to my podcasts transmitted to the car radio using Bluetooth signals from my cell phone which has the added benefit of no commercials. When my subscription ran out December 2017, I looked at my Sirius account on-line and found they wanted to charge me $286 for the next year. Yikes. I also found out that my first subscription had an auto renewal clause. I called December 7 to cancel. I get an e-mail stating that I need to pay my bill because my credit card had changed and I need to submit payment. I called again to cancel. I was routed to a second person (the closer) that ultimately offered me $138.10 for the next year after I told him their product was way too expensive and I would not pay any more. I was ready to say “yes”. BUT, I had to agree over the phone. I refused. I did not trust him. I do not trust Sirius. I wanted a proposal to be sent to me by e-mail so I would have proof of what I was told over the phone. He refused. I had to repeatedly say I want the account cancelled. I could not believe he would not take cancel for an answer. Here are some more issues that were annoying:
- Their phone service quality is not very good. I found it difficult to understand everyone I talked to through their phone service.
- I do not like auto payment. All the bills I pay are not auto payment. This company seems to fail on this count.
- I will not make any binding agreement over the phone. I insist upon seeing the terms in writing and possessing my copy prior to any agreement. They would not agree to this requirement.
- I did NOT get any warning that they did not get payment until after I called them the morning of December 7, 2017 at 8:16am. They then sent me a warning as an e-mail at 8:59am, same day, 43 minutes after I called to cancel.
- Sirius Radio is a good product but the business model is flawed, in my opinion. They fail to offer their product at a reasonable cost but instead seem to inflate to what the market will bear.
- Sirius Radio on line Internet web site that allows you to view your account is not very good, in my opinion. It just offers you a singular option to pay their top annual fee.
- A number of their business practices, which I group together as pressure to buy, really turn me off which is my PRIMARY reason I decided to cancel. This is rather sad for Sirius and me. We came close to closing the purchase except for their pressure tactics.
I typically make a recommendation, of yes or no, at the end of my product reviews. I think this product should be measured by you. I think the Sirius Radio works for some people. It did not for me. It may be worth your consideration.