The next election comes down to some simple national issues for voters to understand. Voters cast their ballots to further their own interests which is understandable and is an aspect of the democratic process. You should vote for what you think is best for yourself, your family, your community and the county.
Problem is, that a Republican party has found mechanisms to work the system to the advantage of their real, somewhat private constituents, which is not you even though you might vote Republican. The real rulers of the Republican party are corporations and the rich. You are just a pawn under their control. The rich may be smart in business but not in politics. They have the money to pay consultants that can plan ways to enrich their clients. The wealthy pay people that devise ways to game the system at your loss. You are at a significant disadvantage to gain from this alleged corrupt system and most often you will loose.
The Republican Party followers are three basic groups, the rich, the single issue voter and the less idealist that believes in less government (Libertarianism). This article will not cover the idealist group because they believe “less is best” and that belief does not factor into this argument too much. This argument is basically focused on “my survival interests must prevail”.
Money gains power. Corporations, and the wealthy have way more money to fund the Republican party than the lower class single issue Republican voter. They are so wealthy that to pay lots of money to support a political party and candidates is a very small investment to ensure they get what they want. The wealthy have even found ways to put money into non-profit organizations and use this mechanism to not pay taxes.
Lets list some popular single issues:
- Gun control
- Illegal immigration
- Animal rights
- Labor union rights
- Strong national defense
The Republican Party embraces some single issues to attract the lower classes to gain votes for their issues.
The Republican Party endorses the following (a partial list):
- Deny gun control. The National Rifle Association is a lobby for gun manufacturers which wants unrestricted gun sales.
- Fight environment controls because this is costly for business.
- Try to diminish unions because unions deny unrestricted corporate control.
- Support strong national defense because the United States arms manufacturers is a big powerful segment of our nation’s manufacturing and they are a powerful lobby.
- An unborn child has an individual right to life and that abortion should be ended entirely. This is a religious issue but the separation of church and state is seldom honored.
- Against same sex marriage.
- Immigration. President Trump wants to build a wall to stop all immigration. This is a white male fear or concern that they will loose status as more immigrants enter this country.
The real power is held by the wealthy because they fund candidates way more than any other group. The party tries to deliver to both groups, wealthy and lower class, as best as it can but the corporate and wealthy interests always win out. The Republican party tries to explain away contradictions, when they occur, in obtuse language and lies.
The less wealthy voter who thinks their single issue is very important fails to realize that that the wealthy class will move to push forward their agenda secretly which may hurt the less wealthy. The recent tax cut is a perfect case which lowers the tax on the wealthy which caused the national debt to increase and then the Republicans said they have to fix this debt problem by hurting the less wealthy by cutting back on Medicare and Social Security, a perfect example of corruption.
Here are some of the ploys that the Republicans use to advance their wealthy clients positions:
- Get rid of health care. (To help the national debt which the Republicans created.)
- Get rid of Social Security (To help the national debt which the Republicans created)
- Lower the tax on the rich and make the middle class and lower class pay for it. (Stupid trickle down theory that does not work.)
- Do not limit gun sales.
- Cut back on pollution laws so corporations do not have to pay money to comply.
- Republicans claim global warming is a hoax which is a lie.
- Do nothing to stop climate damage so as to lesson corporate costs. (Strong risk of crisis as early as 2014)
The single issue voter unknowingly, hurts himself and herself and the rest of the citizens of this county by casting ballots that enrich corporations and the wealthy. This is just one more factor for creating divisions because there are voters that understand this manipulation scheme that the Republicans use and are resentful against the single issue voter for not understanding that they may be voting for way less important issues.
The Republican, who is attracted to that party for single issue reasons, such as abortion, gun rights, immigration may be played for a fool. The Republican Party really stands for corporate and wealthy interests. The party embraces single issues as a ploy, such as gun rights, immigration to gain followers to push what the party is really interested in which is to help the wealthy to keep their wealth and power.
The Republican Party also uses undemocratic methods to maintain power:
- Voter Suppression = Impede voting of minorities that typically support Democratic candidates.
- Gerrymandering (both parties do this)
- Citizens United “Supreme” Court decision ensures the wealthy can spend huge amounts of money to maintain power.
- Populating the “Supreme” Court with political agenda judges. Five out of nine current judges are considered Republican.
- The rule that each state will have two senators, ensures that states with low populations, typically Republican, will create over time an even larger tyranny of the minority.
- Republicans do not favor spending any more money on election security.
- Republicans allegedly allow and embrace foreign help to attack Democrats.
- Republicans want a stupid electorate
Concern and care for others does not seem to be the Republican way. You are being played. You are being manipulated. You are going to loose more and more unless you wake up and cut the strings between you and your wealthy masters.
VOTE, and by doing so, save this county!